COOMBE BOYS' SCHOOL - SURREY
SHARING GOOD ANTI-BULLYING PRACTICE
The Anti-Bullying Ambassador Team from the Diana Award visited Coombe Boys' School in Surrey on the 9th February 2016. Julie Morris was selected to be the South East Regional Staff Champion for 2015/16.
Below Julie shares some of the excellent work her and the team have done this year to make Anti-Bullying Ambassador Programme a success.
Julie Morris writes:
Every year we write an action plan and this is reviewed by the school council and staff. This gives me a plan of the year and I have clear objectives that I want to meet. (See below for an example).
When we first started our work it was student-led and focused. We then introduced anti-bullying prefects and hot spot walks around the school. We gathered information from the students regarding their experience of bullying through the use of a questionnaire. During Anti-Bullying Week, we use this time to educate the whole school on anti-bullying issues.
The Leadership team of the school are committed to the vision of anti-bullying. We ran a whole-staff training session on a number of issues from tackling language, restorative justice sessions and developing the curriculum. We had a drop-in session for staff where they could receive extra support. We openly discussed the anti-bullying work in staff meetings.
Once we had started our anti-bullying journey we needed to embed this into the school:
- We reviewed the anti-bullying policy with the students.
- Introduced Kindness Day.
- We used the active tutorial programmes at the start of every year to spread the anti-bullying message to all the students.
- We ran workshops on communication for certain students.
- Regular staff training.
- Supportive workshops for students who needed extra help with confidence.
Anti-Bullying Ambassadors in Action:
- We have an Anti-Bullying Ambassador board that display our information.
- We run competitions.
- We have introduced a contract that we use when bullying has occurred.
- We offer support for parents.
- We have an online reporting system that is regular review. This give us data and we can see if we are making improvements.
We will be looking at our website, Federated day, training governors, campaigns and competitions in school, surveying staff and students and using drama and the curriculum to allow students to questions viewpoints.