Actor - Justin Fitzgerald in Waterloo Road
1 . What was your school like?
My school was a mixed sex state school situated in Woking.
2. What is your favourite memory from school?
My favourite memory from school was going to Barcelona in my third year on a school trip and taking a trip around the nou camp.
3. How did your school experience influence/help your career?
For me, there were many ups and downs in school as like everyone I was going through hormonal changes. It's made it a lot easier to recall upon emotions in myself as it wasn't that long ago really, and certainly helped deal with Justin's anger in Waterloo Road.
4. Were you bullied at school? If so how did you overcome this?
I think generally people that work in entertainment have been bullied at one point in their life as we are all a bit different in our own quirky ways. There were times in school where people would call me names like billy Elliot or what have you in a negative light. I spoke to my family about it who were great, and helped me, it all got resolved from there.
5. What was your favourite school subject?
My favourite subject was PE. There were very few subjects I actually enjoyed at school haha.
6. What did you look forward to when you went back to school after the holidays? What advice would you give to young people who are going back to school after the holidays?
I always looked forward to getting back to doing sports when going back to school, it was a good way of staying out of trouble and mingling with people.
I always said to myself that I'd make a new kind of resolution per term which I think is a good way to start any term! School is a long part of your life, you should always TRY and take a positive outlook on it, although at times it is so hard to do.
7. Was there anything you worried about when you went back to school after the holidays? How did you overcome this?
In my early years of school I was worried that people would have formed new friendships over the summer and people would then change their opinion on me, which sometimes happened. In turn I was worried that the name calling would start again. I seperated myself from the people who were bringing me down. By getting involved in after school activities I was able to meet people who had similar interests to me and who liked me for me!
8. What was your favourite school meal?
Anything with chips.....
9. If you had to go back to school again what would you change?
I'd change my attitude towards learning as I realise in hindsight how important it is to fully commit to every subject to find what you are best at.
10. What advice would you give to anyone who is worried about going back to school because of bullying issues?
I'd say you're not alone. Most people are bullied at one stage in their lives, but you CAN over come it. I did. Talk to someone who you can fully trust, and let them know how you are feeling! Help is always there when you need it and if you look in the right places.
To read more Back2School blogs click here.